List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: [Aegypten] plan: LDAP support via new kioslave!
From:       Jan de Visser <jan_dv () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-11-01 14:27:56

On November 1, 2001 05:00 am, Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Wednesday 31 October 2001 22:33, Darrell Esau wrote:

[snip]

> At the moment we are having two important questions
> (let me repeat them in short):
>
> Now there are several issues where you could help me see things clearer:
>
> *  What do we have to do to make sure the planned usage of OpenLDAP
>    _without_ having OpenLDAP use the socket will work?

Marko Samastur and I came up with something here a while ago. The idea was
basically to have the TCPSlaveBase make the TCP socket connection, and pipe
the socket through to a unix domain socket. The OpenLDAP client lib has some
(underdocumented, but supported) capabilities to use a domain socket instead
of a TCP socket. Don't know if Marko got anywhere with that one though...

>    The reason for this: We (== the LDAP kioslave) want to access
>    the LDAP servers ourselfes - using the TCPSlaveBase class because
>    when doing so the LDAP kioslave will gain all the common benefits
>    of the TCPSlaveBase (e.g. KDE-wide configuration for SSL ...)
>
> *  Which parts of the new LDAP kioslave will be KDE independent and
>    thus could/should be implemented in our separate "shared LDAP
>    Module"?
>
>    The reason for this: The more code we have in the shared LDAP module
>    the easier it is for us to realize our mutt LDAP access.
>    Ägypten tries to be as independent as possible - while at the same
>    time trying to be as usefull both for KDE and for others as possible.
>
> Any help in clearifying these issues is highly appreciated.
>
> Ciao,
>
>   Karl-Heinz

Cheers,

JdV!!