List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: PGP 2 support
From:       Jan-Oliver Wagner <jan () intevation ! de>
Date:       2001-10-30 9:37:11

Hi Ingo,

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 09:37:57AM +0100, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 October 2001 09:16, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> > However, the Ägypten project is not paid very well and to keep
> > us living and to make this free software contract a success story,
> > we must concentrate on KMail first.
> > If anyone is able to spend time on further generalization we
> > are happy to give input, but we just can't afford coding or a risk
> > delay of our time schedule.
>
> That's the difference between contracted developers and free developers.
> We don't have to obey any deadlines. O.k. there are feature freezes,
> but if a feature isn't ready on feature freeze it's simply delayed
> until the next major version. You don't have this freedom and therefore
> we might end up with a sub-optimal solution for KDE which would have to
> be enhanced by us afterwards because you are no longer "paid" for it.
> If possible this shouldn't happen because this would give a bad example
> of a contribution of some companies to the KDE project.

Imho, contracted work is similar to any code contribution. It needs
to be further maintained, perhaps refined or even rewritten.
The Ägypten project would like to contribute something that
is helpful for the ongoing development.

If you fear that a solution is suboptimal and redesigning/rewriting
would mean less work than improving it at a later stage, please
tell us.
Together we'll find ways to take best advantage of the resources
we can spend.

	Jan
--
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/