List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: PGP 2 support
From:       Jan-Oliver Wagner <jan () intevation ! de>
Date:       2001-10-30 8:16:31

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 09:00:49AM +0100, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Tuesday 30 October 2001 07:52, Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
> >    By doing we will end up having _two_ options: either use the old
> >    solution and be happy with it OR use the "Gpg Plug-In".
>
> This sounds like a good solution. But shouldn't you call your "Gpg
> Plug-In" "Sphinx Plug-In" instead?

well, the Plug-In is specific for the gpg crypto backend.
Furthermore, Sphinx only stands for S/MIME, not for OpenPGP.
The gpg Plug-In covers both.

> So let's continue the discussion of the implementation. The plug-in
> solution sounds really promising. But how should it be implemented. IMO
> it should be made as generic as possible so that even programs like
> KOffice can use encryption through this plug-in. That means that we
> need high-level S/MIME resp. PGP/MIME support for KMail (and mutt) and
> low-level signing/encryption support for all programs which would like
> to use signing/encryption.

this is a very understandable desire (we felt it also :-).
However, the Ägypten project is not paid very well and to keep
us living and to make this free software contract a success story,
we must concentrate on KMail first.
If anyone is able to spend time on further generalization we
are happy to give input, but we just can't afford coding or a risk
delay of our time schedule.

Perhaps a follow-up contract :-)

	Jan
--