List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Mitarbeit?
From:       Jan-Oliver Wagner <jan () intevation ! de>
Date:       2001-10-30 8:08:39

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 10:57:21PM +0100, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Monday 29 October 2001 22:37, Andreas Gungl wrote:
> > Marc, you are right from the developers point of view. Your proposal
> > would be my favorite solution too. However there are two big
> > problems:
> >
> > a) Most KDE users will get KDE in form of RPMs made by distributors.
> > Where from should the normal users be warned that PGP support in
> > KMail is dropped for that one upgrade? How will you manage to tell
> > them all, that they should stick with KDE 2.2.1 until 3.(0.)1 is out
> > if they use to use PGP?
> >
> > b) You will get a lot of bad publicity because the next release is
> > going to be binary-incompatible. Cutting off the PGP users is a bad
> > idea for such a major release change.
>
> Well said. This is exactly my point.

dropping the PGP2 support would *at least* mean to offer
those users who use PGP2 a very nice and detailed description (or tutorial)
on how to migrate their old stuff.

Since no-one here has the resources to do this, the only option I see
is to
* keep pgp2 support
* encourage to think about migration (->patents)
* encourage to write down ways and pitfalls of a migration

This way ground is prepared for reconsidering the situation for
a later KDE release (4.0? :-).

	Jan

--
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/