List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: PGP 2 support
From:       Bernhard Reiter <bernhard () intevation ! de>
Date:       2001-10-29 16:52:26

To clarify the situation even more:

The current pgp and gpg capabilities of Kmail
are not conforming to RFC 3156 (MIME Security with OpenPGP).
I am not sure if it is correct to call this an OpenPGP support
for a MIME capable MUA like Kmail.

In the Ägypten-Project we will make the code more modular.
The old support will stay available as a module as it is,
so the situation does not change with this step.
No functionality is lost.
This old methods to call pgp and gpg will not be further
maintained within the Ägypten-project.
(This is what Werner probably meant by "drop support".)

The Plug-in coming out of the Ägypten-Project will be able to handle
OpenPGP support for Kmail through gnupg.

	Bernhard

On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 06:15:21PM +0100, Michael Häckel wrote:
> Why does removing of well working stuff free resources?

We will not remove working functionality, we will make it modular.

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 02:34:39PM +0100, Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:

> I was happy to find out that, yes, we _will_ be able to provide a
> solution that will pease you and us.  :)
>
> This is what we will do:

>    The following steps ensure that a working implementation is available
>    whenever possible:
>

>    1. Implement the necessary integration functionality (plugin loader,
>       etc.) in KMail.
>
>    2. Write a null plugin to test the KMail integration functionality.
>
>    3. Convert the current OpenPGP functionality in KMail into a security
>       plugin. Test the functionality as taken from the plugin.
>
>    4. Remove the built-in OpenPGP functionality from KMail.
>
>    5. Write a second plugin that uses GPGME. Test the functionality of
>       this plugin.
> </quoting>

The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)