List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Fwd: [Aegypten] plan: LDAP support via new kioslave!
From:       Karl-Heinz Zimmer <khz () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-10-29 15:42:47

[ Hi all,
  this goes CC to the KMail list, please join our discussion
  if you want to participate... ]

Hi Marko and Darrel!

Thanks again for your patience - it's been quite a bit longer that I had
intended to let you wait for my reply...

As you see in our new design plan for LDAP access (see below) we actually
managed to find a way how to use the new LDAP kioslave without having to
re-implement tons of code for mutt support (which is our 2nd goal and comes
right after KMail support).

Now there are several issues where you could help me see things clearer:

*  What do we have to do to make sure the planned usage of OpenLDAP
   _without_ having OpneLDAP use the socket will work?

   The reason for this: We (== the LDAP kioslave) want to access
   the LDAP servers ourselfev - using the TCPSlaveBase class because
   when doing so the LDAP kioslave will gain all the common benefits
   of the TCPSlaveBase (e.g. KDE-wide configuration for SSL ...)

*  Which parts of the new LDAP kioslave will be KDE independent and
   thus could/should be implemented in our separate "shared LDAP Module"?

   The reason for this: The more code we have in the shared LDAP module
   the easier it is for us to realize our mutt LDAP access.
   Ägypten tries to be as independent as possible - while at the same time
   trying to be as usefull both for KDE and for others as possible.

Please send comments/ideas/proposals...  :)

Ciao,

  Karl-Heinz