List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Please Review: CSS Media
From:       Martijn Klingens <mklingens () ism ! nl>
Date:       2001-10-29 9:35:42

On Thursday 25 October 2001 14:42, Martijn Klingens wrote:
> Ok, this is hopefully the definitive patch to add CSS2 media support to
> KHTML.

Thanks to Dirk and Simon for reviewing, CSS2 Media support is now in CVS
(HEAD only, will _not_ be backported).

Vadim, could you update your CVS and run all your test suites on it? ;-) Note
that there are no ECMA bindings in place as of now, only normal HTML is
handled at the moment. I guess document.write( "<style ...>" ) will work, but
I don't call that ECMA bindings...

For other people using KHTML in their projects (hence the CC's): It might now
be worthwhile to change the HTML code for media support. 2 suggestions:

- In KMail change the code such that the on-screen display of messages
honours a user's colour settings, but the print version has a hardcoded white
background colour.

- In Konq/e it might now be useful to add support for one of the various
media types for small displays. Just set the proper media type somewhere in
the code in a way similar in what KHTMLView::print() does. Maybe there should
be a way for KHTML in Konq/e to detect the availability of such rarely-used
media types and switch the renderer to it when a pages provides it. This way
there is always the fallback to the normal renderer. But I guess that is not
my problem to solve ;-)

Thing is that the basic support is there now, we only need the GUI where
appropriate to make really use of it.

Martijn

PS: I am _not_ subscribed to the kmail and konq-e lists, so any replies from
there should CC me or one of the other lists!