List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: new Fcc field
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <ingo.kloecker () epost ! de>
Date:       2001-10-21 21:20:06

On Sunday 21 October 2001 21:40, Roberto Teixeira wrote:
> Hi,
>
> one thing I was missing in Kmail was the possibility to select a
> different folder than sent-mail when I was writing a mail. I could
> use outgoing filters for a lot of cases, but sometimes we have to
> manually select the folder.
>
> This patch creates this option. First you can configure a special
> sent-mail folder for each identity you have (if there's none
> selected, we use kernel->sentFolder()). Secondly, this adds an option
> (a combobox) to the composer window to allow me to select a different
> one for that specific message.
>
> One problem I have is the field label. I am using Fcc (folder carbon
> copy) right now because that's the name I got used to when I used
> Gnus. However, I think we must come up with a more user friendly
> name.

What about "Sent-mail"? Even better would be "Sent-mail folder" but it's
too long compared to "Identity", "To", etc. OTOH "Mail transport" is
also pretty long and usually "Sent-mail folder" could probably be
turned off.

> So I'd appreciate comments and if it's ok I'd like to commit it.

Thanks for this patch. At first glance it looks good. But I guess I
found a problem. You seem to determine the right folder by searching
through the whole folder list and comparing the names. But this only
works if the folder names are unique. But I have for example several
folders with the same name (in different branches of my folder
hierarchy).
For example have a look a the following hierarchy:
+-friends
  +-sent-mail
+-work
  +-sent-mail

So we have a sent-mail folder for all messages sent to friends and a
second sent-mail folder for all work related messages. But both folders
have the same name. This will lead to problems with your patch as far
as I can see.
To workaround this problem you'll have to save the complete path which
leads to the sent-mail folder, i.e. in the above example
friends->sent-mail resp. work->sent-mail.
Even better would be if we introduced unique internal folder identifiers
(an int). This would make a lot of the folder related stuff faster
because instead of comparing folder names we'd only have to compare
int's.

Regards,
Ingo