List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Request for comments: New address book API
From:       Don Sanders <sanders () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-10-17 23:58:29

On Thursday 18 October 2001 07:27, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 October 2001 01:55, Don Sanders wrote:
> > Allowing multiple email addresses for each person is
> > more of a gimmick than a truely useful feature.
>
> No, it's not just a gimmick. Almost all my friends have
> at least two separate email addresses. One for their
> working place and one for their home. Now if I put all my
> friends in a distribution list how can I make sure that
> they all receive the message at their home address.
> Making two addressbook entries for each of them just
> because I'd like to reach them sometimes under their work
> address and sometimes under their home address would be
> really stupid.

I don't think it's stupid. It solves the example problem you
gave.  It's a trivially simple solution for a trivial
problem.

> Supporting multiple email addresses is
> imperative.
> I know that my idea might lead to inconsistencies if
> email addresses are changed but using categories isn't an
> option either. I'm afraid that unfortunately there isn't
> a satisfying solution for this problem. Maybe it would be
> best to make distribution lists a KMail only solution.
> And each time something is changed in the addressbook we
> should check for changed email addresses and should ask
> the user to resolve any conflicts.
>
> > Custom entries aren't possible in the old or new
> > addressbook. I plan to fake them by in KAddressbook by
> > showing an entry for each category.
>
> Hmm, wasn't it possible in KAddressbook to define
> arbitrary key/value pairs?

Yes.

> Adding arbitrary key/value
> pairs to the addressbook should be possible because one
> can never now which information should later be stored in
> the addressbook. As I already said, I'd like to store a
> person's PGP keys (resp. the key IDs of those keys) in
> the address book. And certainly some other apps also
> would like to add some additionally information. Think
> about ICQ numbers, AIM nicks, etc.

I'm not sure how this is related to this thread. But as I
said before I think a field for the PGP key is a very good
idea. It could be shown in the details field of
KAddressbook. ICQ numbers and AIM nicks, fields can be
created that are shown in the All fields tab, but details
tab should only be altered if a couple less important
fields can be relegated to the all fields tab. (There's
only room for one more field in Details before it becomes
full).

Perhaps the new addressbook API could be extended to add
support for PGP, ICQ and AIM keys.

Don.