List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: My take on reader layout.
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <ingo.kloecker () epost ! de>
Date:       2001-10-16 23:02:24

On Tuesday 16 October 2001 20:25, Marc Mutz wrote:
> I sat down and coded a small HTML example of how I think the
> KMail/KNode reader should look like in future versions. This was
> sparkled by the already know vulnerability of KMail where HTML mails
> could fake "good signature" messages whilst not being signed at all.
>
> The tarball can be found at
> http://www.mathematik.uni-bielefeld.de/~mmutz/kmime_reader.tar.bz2
> (ca. 45K). Sorry for the example picture, but it was the only one I
> had of fitting size without searching too long...
>
> An alternate way of showing the signature/encryption status would be
> to attach the message directly to the corresponding part. Both
> options could be config'able. Please note the (almost) pure use of
> CSS, which provides for a wide area of config'ability (think user
> supplied stylesheets).

Hmm, to be honest I don't like the usage of iframes at all. I really
hate iframes because they come with an extra pair of scrollbars. This
sucks because in order to view the last lines of the text in the iframe
you have to scroll the whole view with the global vertical scrollbar
and then you have to scroll the embedded iframe with the iframe's
vertical scrollbar. Furthermore it's nearly impossible to view the
whole message without using the mouse (using the Tab key and the Arrow
keys in a not very convenient way works somehow).

The other idea (about showing the signature/encryption status of the
parts) isn't that bad. But I think the status information should
immediately precede the corresponding part. If you have all status
information at the beginning you will have to
a) scroll down in order to see the beginning of the message if there are
many message parts whose status is shown
b) scroll up again (or use the "show" link) in order to check the
verbose information about the status of a message part at the end of
the message

I propose the following:
1. Show the status of an embedded message part directly above this part
similar to the way we currently show the status of clearsigned/
encrypted text blocks. Instead of using iframes the embedded message
parts should simply be put into a simple <div></div> pair (with border)
or into a table which is how my proposed new way for marking
signed/encrypted text blocks works.
2a. Show the signature/encryption status of an attachment the same way
as for embedded message parts, i.e. put the information about the
attachment (the icon, it's type, name and description) into a table. Or
2b. Show the signature/encryption status of an attachment below the
attachment's Type, Name and Description. Or
2c. Show the signature/encryption status of an attachment with the help
of two small icons next to the attachment icon or below the attachment
icon.
I'd prefer 2a.

In order to prevent faked signed messages I still think a padlock in the
toolbar (cf. Konqueror) or in the status bar (cf. Netscape
Messenger(?)) is the best solution. The color bar is IMHO to intrusive
but it could still be made optionally available for paranoid people.

BTW, I like the "more..." links.

Later I'll remodel your example after my ideas so that you can better
see what I have in mind.

Regards,
Ingo