List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Domino 5.x support in KMail
From:       Michael =?iso-8859-1?q?H=E4ckel?= <Michael () Haeckel ! Net>
Date:       2001-10-02 8:31:24

On Tuesday 02 October 2001 08:07, Mauro DePascale wrote:

> (directly mantained by Lotus).
> I will be happy to do that by myself but: I'm not an official KDE
> representative, my english is very bad (and in that case we need to be very
> cautious) and I don't know very well the GPL terms.

Regarding Lotus, if I understand correctely, the possibility to distribute
your source code on the KMail home page and force the user to fetch the API
himself from Lotus is always there. The rest can wait, until you have
something to demonstrate.
Regarding the GPL, I'm not completely sure. You must of course give your code
a licence, that allows linking with the Notes API. Linking with kdelibs is no
problem since it is LGPL. But what is with Qt? Actually the Notes API doesn't
link with Qt, but your code links with Qt and the Notes API. Is that a
problem then or not?

> In the meanwhile I'd like to start changing my code for use the kioslaves
> in order to compile the Domino support as module. I'll prepare also some
> screenshot and, eventually, a binary tarball so it will be possible to
> setup a short demo if required.
> Actually I'm using KDE 2.2, it's ok to extract only kmail from CVS and
> starting implementing on it? Or, in order to compile, I've to rebuild the
> whole KDE distribution (well, at least libs, support, base and network)
> from the tree?

CVS KMail needs also Qt-3.0-beta6 and kdelibs from CVS. If you want to have
POP3,SMTP,IMAP support, then you also need kdebase.
You can install that into a different directory with "./configure
--prefix=<some-dir>" to keep your stable desktop still working.

Regards,
Michael Häckel