List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Domino 5.x support in KMail
From:       Michael =?iso-8859-1?q?H=E4ckel?= <Michael () Haeckel ! Net>
Date:       2001-09-29 8:11:00

Hi,

On Saturday 29 September 2001 09:00, Mauro "Larry" de Pascale wrote:

> I'm using the native Domino APIs provided from lotus, so the communication
> between the server and KMail is made exactly as with Lotus Notes (so, using
> the proprietary protocol).

If this API is not under an open source license, what is the case, reading the
licence,

<quote>
You may not 1) use, copy, modify, or distribute the Program except as provided
in this Agreement; 2) reverse assemble, reverse compile, or otherwise
translate the Program except as specifically permitted by law without the
possibility of contractual waiver; or 3) sublicense, rent, or lease the
Program.
</quote>

then you are anyway not allowed to link any GPL application like KMail against
it unless all copyright holders explicitely state, that they agree.

This licence even doesn't allow it to a linux distributor like Redhat or SuSE
to distribute the code.
Basically everyone who want's to use it, has to fetch the API directely from
Lotus and compile it himself.

Therefore you must go the way of a plugin like a kioslave and even there you
have to ensure to not link against any GPL code, but only against for example
LGPL or BSD licenced code.
A kioslave anyway has the advantage of non-blocking network transfer, I don't
know how that is with your current implementation.

> Anyway, if we want to do  that step, I need to add some code to let people
> configure the environment  for accessing Domino easyer.

We can agree on adding some code to KMail, that checks, if your plugin is
available and does some special things like using it, in the case it is.

> Let me know how do you think to proceed: do you like to have my binary
> package, just to give it a try? I can write down some note about how to
> setup it (having the time)?

Personally I always prefer a source code patch of course :-)

> Do you like some screenshot (mainly for the setup dialog, the only visible
> difference)?

That can't hurt. Since at least I currently don't have access to a Domino
server I anyway can't test the code, however some other people on this
mailing list seem to have.
I once tried to setup the test version, to test IMAP against of which at least
somebody told me Domino would support, but it doesn't work yet.

Regards,
Michael Häckel