List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: Domino 5.x support in KMail
From:       Mauro "Larry" de Pascale <maurodepascale () infinito ! it>
Date:       2001-09-29 7:00:22

Hi again friends,

I'm sorry about starting a new discussion thread, but I just subscribed to
the mailing list . . .

About kmail and Domino: actually I've KDE 2.2 installed with a modified
kmail, I added the Domino support directly into the source tree deriving a
new class from KMAccount to retreive mail from  Domino mailboxes, and a new
class  from KMSendProc to send mail through Domino.
I'm using the native Domino APIs provided from lotus, so the communication
between the server and KMail is made exactly as with Lotus Notes (so, using
the proprietary protocol).
Actually I'm using the C++ API 2.1 taken from lotus and a shared library
coming with Domino 5.0.8 for linux.
The interesting part is that, using the API , it's possible to access all the
services provided by Domino (calendaring, directory services and so), in fact
my original idea was to add Domino support to all the KDE's productivity
tools in order to substitute the Notes client (well, at list for the usage I
actually do of it).
Obviously there's a lot of work to be done, but I'm optimistic.

About integrating my job with the actual source tree: I agree with the
proposal of implementing the Domino support as a plugin (even because there
can be some licensing problem with Lotus, we need to discuss it a bit),
unfortunately, I know little about KDE's architecture (but I'll be happy to
learn more . . .).
Anyway, if we want to do  that step, I need to add some code to let people
configure the environment  for accessing Domino easyer.
At the moment the setup is a bit tricky because, while kmail can be easily
configured to access the Domino server everywhere into the network using the
setup dialog,  Domino requires a fixed directory structure into the user's
home and some mandatory setting actually made by hand.

Let me know how do you think to proceed: do you like to have my binary
package, just to give it a try? I can write down some note about how to setup
it (having the time)?
Do you like some screenshot (mainly for the setup dialog, the only visible
difference)?

If you'd like some fast answer, write me at home (maurodepascale@infinito.it)
else, I'll wait monday to read your comments at work
(mauro.depascale@marconi.com).

Peace and fun for everyone!

Larry