List:       kmail-devel
Subject:    Re: startkde script modification question
From:       Kristian Koehntopp <kris () koehntopp ! de>
Date:       2003-01-16 8:27:38

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 10:47:56PM +0100, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> while working myself (again) through the gpg/aegypten/smime stuff for debian
> packages (which we at credativ where I work will use for an installation),
> the thing for using KMail with Aegypten  depends much on proper configuration
> of the system. Now; one critical thing is to make the gpg-agent start up, so

I presume that gpg-agent is a process for the management of gpg
keys much like ssh-agent is an agent for the management of
ssh-keys.

Also, I presume that you have to authenticate yourself against
gpg-agent with some passphrase to enable gpg-agent to decrypt
your keys, much like ssh-agent requires a passphrase for ssh key
decryption.

I find this to be a rather quaint approach, and would like to
see more integration here. Have there been thoughts to implement
some kind of secure storage for key material in KDE, and to
integrate this secure storage with kdm logins, so that I can
activate my keys upon login with a SINGLE password if I desire
so?

This would in my eyes be the architecturally much cleaner
approach, and a big plus for KDE as an environment.

Kristian