List:       klyx
Subject:    Re: KLYX WORD PROCESSOR
From:       Chris Menzel <cmenzel () tamu ! edu>
Date:       2000-08-25 19:19:34

On Thu, Aug 24, 2000 at 02:00:48PM -0700, John Richard Smith wrote:
> I may be new to LYX and have a lot to learn,but I am far from computer
> illiterate.  I have printed off all there is on my MD7.0+StOff.5.01
> KLYX documentation and read it all carefully.I still cannot get the
> darn thing to produce a single piece of usable work. I wish someone
> would tell me in plain ,to the point instruction how to set up a
> letter template that would do :-
>
> MY NAME (top lefthand)                                         MY ADDRESS
>
>                                                                      date
>
> SEND TO ADDRESS (not further than 5.5cm below the top of the page)
>
> MAIN TEXT
>

>                                                          THE YOURS (ETC)
>

>                                                           SIGNATURE
>

> TEL NUMBRER       (within 2.5cm of bottom of page)   E-MAIL ADDRESS
>
> The standard template cannot do it ,it would seem,so a customised job
> is by definition necessary.

It is easy as can be, though you might actually have to spend a little
time learning something.  Try using an article or report class under
Layout...Document.  To right align text, try Insert...Special
Character...hfill.  To suppress indentation and to put expra space
between paragraphs, use the Layout...Paragraph dialog.  Ctrl-Return is
also useful for generating linebreaks instead of new paragraphs.

I managed to compose a letter in KLyX with roughly your desired format
in about 10 minutes.  Have a look at http://people.tamu.edu/~cmenzel/foo.ps.

All of this information is in the very fine, detailed documentation for
LyX/KLyX, which you apparently have not bothered to read.  Try looking
under the Help... menu item.

-chris