List:       klyx
Subject:    Re: Importing EPS files
From:       Francois Bouffard <fbouffar () gel ! ulaval ! ca>
Date:       2000-02-28 20:44:16

(The problem was the following: when importing KIllustrator-generated EPS
files into KLyX, the drawing always get placed on the upper left corner of
the current page, even over text).

> I don't use KIllustrator, so I haven't encountered this problem, but I might
> have a workaround for you. Try opening your file in the GIMP and saving it
> as a PostScript file before importing the image to KLyX.

This works but generates a HUGE PostScript file (say my ps file is 9 Ko,
it generates a 2 Mo file because of the bitmap translation). I've been
able to pinpoint more precisely the problem, though. On the Killustrator
bugs page, they suggest importing the PostScript files using the \epsfile
command with the 'clip' option.

I don't have much LaTeX knowledge, but I can see (by exporting the .lyx
file as a LaTeX .tex file) that this is not the command used by KLyX for
placing images. The command seems to be \includegraphics, which doesn't
have a 'clip' option as far as I can see.

What can be done, though, is the following: when opening
Killustrator-generated PostScript files in ghostview, I can note the
coordinates (in points) of the bottom left and top right corners of the
figure.  Then, instead of inserting a figure in KLyX, I type in TeX mode
the \includegraphics command with its two optional parameters:

\includegraphics*[x1,y1][x2,y2]{}

where [x1,y1] are the coordinates of the bottom left point of my figure
and [x2,y2] the coordinates of the top right point.

So, it works; but this is somewhat tedious and there is no preview of the
image in KLyX this way. I guess a future version of KLyX should have, in
the 'Insert Figure' menu, a box to specify how to clip the figure.

Thanks a lot for your help; if what I said remind you of a more elegant
workaround, I'd be happy to hear about it.

François   Étudiant à la maîtrise en Génie électrique
Bouffard   Graduate Student in Electrical Engineering

           COPL, Université Laval, Québec, QC

fbouffar@gel.ulaval.ca   www.gel.ulaval.ca/~fbouffar/