List:       klyx
Subject:    KLyX: \footnotemark{} eliminated - Is there anybody interested?
From:       "Matej Cepl" <CeplM () seznam ! cz>
Date:       2000-01-08 23:21:33

Hi,

I have tried to write my article on "Legal Review of Two Free
Licenses Under the Czech Law" with KLyX (version 0.10, tarball
downloaded from ftp.kde.org), but I have not succeed and I had to
switch to EMACS / AucTeX. There were two problems which I have
not been able to solve:

-- When putting footnote in a text in Enumerate environment
    KLyX, it translate it into LaTeX as \footnotemark and
    \footnotetext pair. When the list is couple of pages long, result
    is really ugly (footnotes two pages behind from footnote mark).
    BTW, the same behaviour I have found with LyX 1.0.3.

    I have asked for some solution on klyx list, but nobody answered.
    So, I have skipped KLyX for EMACS / AucTeX and the resullting
    article may be found on http://www.volny.cz/cepls/ .

    I have tried to find in a LaTeX documentation available to me any
    reason why the plain \footnote{} should not be available in
    enumerate environment, but I have failed and I have not found
any
    mentioning of \footnotemark{}. What is the reason of using such
    construct by KLyX?

    Well, now when the article is finished I have tried to find
    whether there is a solution by hacking in the source code. The
    only solution which I have been able to find (be aware, that I am
    a lawyer, not a programmer, and I have only very light knowledge
    of C, and none of C++), was to eliminate a part of paragraph.C
    (see attached diff file).

    I am afraid, that it is really a horrible hack, and I am not
    sure, whether I have not broken anything in other part of KLyX,
    but make have succeeded and resulting TeX does use "\footnote"
    always.

    Is there any more sensible way how to eliminate \footnotemark{}?

--  While KLyX is wonderfull in being KDE application (I just hate
    XForms on my VGA-only monitor and LyX keyboard shortcuts does not
    work), I am missing some KDE enahncements. Especially, LyX
    support for international keyboard is awfull and only confuses
    me, when I have much better support included in KDE. Would not
    it be possible to elimnate keyboard support from KLyX altogether?
    Other thing is, that while KLyX's menu are beatyfully localized
    into Czech, keyboard shortcuts are still non-localized, which
    makes things rather difficult.

Other problem is that I am afraid of KLyX's future. There does not
seem to be a progress in development and I have not seen a new
distribution of KLyX since 0.10 in April 1999 (I have not access to
CVS). Is the project dead or I have missed something?

			Have a nice day and (BTW) thanks for KLyX

							Matej Cepl