List:       klyx
Subject:    (K)LyX documetation
From:       Jochen Kuepper <jochen () uni-duesseldorf ! de>
Date:       1998-12-06 9:02:24

Christopher,

On Fre, 04 Dez 1998 Christopher Sawtell wrote:

[ KLyX audience: scientists vs. everbody ? ]

Clearly the LyX family _is_ much inferior to standard word processors in many
regards, e.g. typesetting quality. But there are also drawbacks (I am told,
never use any WP), and you have to weight these different objections.

Probably for scientific / technical writing the inferior typesetting is a
sinlge winner argument, so people are using it; for secretarians writing little
pages letters all time, this is not the same winner :-)
But yes, there are actually so many advantages, they (_everybody_) should use
it.

Hope you have success winning people.

>German people, quite naturally, would like to see a user manual written
>in German, & I hope Ronny is able to create one for all German users of (K)Lyx.

Most important for me would be to get KLyX KDE conform - that means DocBook
(who mentioned that, you :-?), so we have html in the help facility and LaTeX
for printout - you should just be able to load the sgml doc into KLyX, here we
go.
Well, also we should get translations for all the "KDE-languages" - Spanish,
French, ... come to mind.

>The forking of any high quality OSS program suite is, imho, a tragedy. The
>sooner both (K)LyX are combined back into a single CVS repository with
>conditionals for the different GUIs the better.

Absolutely agreed.
Everybody going to work on documentation - try to get into contact to the LyX
people and try to make one documentation team !!!
( It's actually easy to get into contact to the LyX team, just send a message
to their mailing list - look at www.lyx.org )

>I hope you understand the idiom all right?

Well, hope I got it right.
If I understand correctly, you are voting for better English. I don't know, are
there any en_UK docs with KDE ?
Everything else is beyond my scope - like making the C locale more British, or
at least make en default to en_UK, not en_US.
That's to much of a political and economical fight of the US and the UK(+
others), I guess.

>You seem to have a very good command of English so I expect you will.

Well, (supposed) Oxford English base from school I am actually quite used to
this American language your correctly distinguish to English (or probably real)
English.

Christopher, this is a question, no offense:
Actually I remember several Australians (I know what NZ means), to me they
sounded neither British nor American, so do we need en_AU and en_NZ as well ?
Or was it just me, are you actually using Britisch English with your own accent?

Greetings,
Jochen
  Jochen K"upper

  Heinrich-Heine-Universit"at D"usseldorf   jochen@uni-duesseldorf.de
  Institut f"ur Physikalische Chemie I
  Universit"atsstr. 1, Geb 26.43 Raum 02.29    phone ++49-211-8113681
  40225 D"usseldorf                            fax   ++49-211-8115195
  Germany             http://www-public.rz.uni-duesseldorf.de/~jochen