List:       klyx
Subject:    Re: Compiling Klyx
From:       Matthias Ettrich <ettrich () troll ! no>
Date:       1998-09-30 0:28:14

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Dadio1998@aol.com wrote:
>I download Klyx and tried to compile it as outlined in INSTALL. I get an error
>when running configure. It goes to the point where it tries to run a kde app
>to check the environment and stops. I'm unable to work around the problem.
>
>I'm a new user to Linux and have Mandrake Linux installed. Klyx is the first
>application I've tried to install that did not come with Mandrake. I'm curious
>as to why you only offer the uncompiled version of Klyx. (This seems to be the
>case with a lot of Linux software.)
>
>If Linux is to be a competitor to Windows as I assume it's meant to be, it has
>a long way to go before it will be even considered by most novice users. (in
>my meager opinion anyway)  This is just an observation and is not meant as a
>criticism toward Klyx.

The comparism ist not really working like this. What you did was downloading
the sources of the developers, just like breaking into the Microsoft
Headquarter and downloading the code from their Office programming team.

I am quite certain that you might run into trouble compiling these as well.

Compiling is a difficult task, you need to set up lots of things. That's why
compiling is usually done by the developers ( of course ) and distributors that
provide the stuff to the enduser (such as mandrake).

Anyways, if you pay someone 1000$ (the price of MS-Office) I am sure he will
build you a binary for your system ;-)

The problem with Linux is that there are so many more or less incompatible
version arounds, so if you want to provide dynamic linked binaries for all
users you would have to make/maintain 20 different packages. But that's why
there are distributions like mandrake.

Back to the topic: the problem you are referring to is not a KLyX problem. I
assume your system like it is now won't be able to compile any KDE
application. Is there a mandrake mailing list where you could get help? I don't
know what packages from mandrake you exactly have to install to be able to
actually compile applications.

The easiest solution would be to contact mandrake and ask them to make a KLyX
package!

Greets,

  Matthias