List:       klink
Subject:    thoughts from FOSDEM, status
From:       wheeler () kde ! org (Scott Wheeler)
Date:       2005-03-20 4:40:17

On Sunday 20 March 2005 3:48, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> 1. information and application domains do not map similarly
> 2. puts too much onus on the application developer intead of giving them a
>    tool
> 3. the next step is the network, and this will make things much more
>    complex
> 4. we have multiple applications for the same information domains
> 5. i don't see what advantages it brings

I'm actually not suggesting its use, but I think it's an interesting way to
view the problem.

Formulated differently, "Everything, tell me what you know about 'panda
bears'"

Now there are problems with encapsulating that sort of high level "knowledge"
-- it moves away from the "unqualified relationships".  But if the query
structure returned something very quantifiable -- i.e. boolean properties --
it might open up a way to embed extensible query logic without diving into
fixed ontologies.  (Wow, now that was really clear, right?)

It does however set up some interesting questions:

*) Will it at some point be useful to have domain specific queries that where
we're essentially crossing application borders?  Will it be useful to be able
to query something in one application that encapsulates data handling that
logically "belongs" to another application?

*) If so, what sort of strategies for working with that logic will the
framework provide?

To put things in semi-concrete terms again -- say we've got a KWord document
about panda bears.  KWord will know more about that document than we'll be
able to store in the KLink structure, naturally.  If there were a "KWord
agent" it might be possible to say, "Is this word important in this
document?"

I don't think this is all that important for the moment, but I mostly just
wanted to document the question because I think it's an interesting one
that's probably worth putting on the mental back-burner for recall at some
future point.

Cheers,

-Scott

--
Anyone who has begun to think, places some portion of the world in jeopardy.
-John Dewey