List:       klik-devel
Subject:    Re: [klik-devel] klik-devel Digest, Vol 15, Issue 1
From:       "Thomas Leonard" <talex5 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-05-23 21:59:08

On 5/23/07, lionel.tricon@free.fr <lionel.tricon@free.fr> wrote:
> My impression is that 0install is close to the current klik implementation.
>
> Klik2 will add some major improvements :
> - union mounting : virtualize the application into the filesystem (only from the
> application point of view)

Sounds good... but can we separate this from the installation system?

e.g.:

- We have a package ('abiword')
- It depends on another package ('klik-union-fs')

Now, when I do:

$ 0launch http://.../abiword.xml

Abiword runs in a new namespace (provided by klik-union-fs). Just as
Python programs need a Python interpreter to run, Abiword needs the
Klik union system (though actually Abiword doesn't need it because
it's relocatable; it already works through normal Zero Install).

> - sand boxing feature : allows you to test an application without changing the
> local filesystem or put the modifications into a directory or a file (loopback
> mounting)
> - no need to modify absolute paths : the application is unmodified

Again, that sounds useful, but possibly for other programs too (e.g.
programs installed using apt-get). Will you be supporting multiple
'profiles' per program? e.g.

$ klik-create-profile abifoo http://.../abiword.xml
$ klik-create-profile abibar http://.../abiword.xml
$ abifoo
$ abibar

(where changes made in abifoo don't affect abibar).

--
Dr Thomas Leonard		http://rox.sourceforge.net