List:       klik-devel
Subject:    [klik-devel] FUSE CLONE_NEWNS implementation ...
From:       "Fabian Franz" <FabianFranz () gmx ! de>
Date:       2007-02-24 4:27:40

So,

here we go. The newest release of klik-overlay has seamless fuse support in addtition to real \
unionfs like aufs or unionfs.

It ships a custom funionfs_klik binary (570k though), which is statically linked against a \
slightly patched fuse library, so it should run everywhere. (Thanks lionel for the idea)

(suid binary can be rebuild via Makefile if needed.)

Same instructions for installation as before do apply, but it now "magically" ;) works also on \
just "fuse" systems.

Module preference is: aufs,fuse,unionfs

For fuse, fusermount needs to be present in root's path. I could perhaps just ship for that a \
static renamed binary as well.

Get it from:

http://studwww.ira.uka.de/~s_franz2/klik/

Installation instructions for .klik/.zAppRun are the same as can be found in above README. \
Again old .cmgs will work exactly like new .cmgs.

So that whole thing should just work.

Regarding performance:

OO 2.1 normal start: 0m4.587s
OO 2.1 fuse/funionfs start: 0m5.757s

And one sec for such a big binary doesn't seem too bad.

Changes to libfuse:

If you wonder what I had to change in libfuse:

I changed it so that the fuse server can be spawned outside of the new namespace while the \
mount is done inside.

Instead of spawning fusermount my fuse library just gets the real FD from environment / \
suid_binary.

See klik-overlay*.tar.gz/patches/*.

cu

Fabian

PS: So probono you can put a only standard kernel modules='yes' in the overview table now. :)