List:       klik-devel
Subject:    Re: [klik-devel] LSB info
From:       Niall Walsh <linux () esatclear ! ie>
Date:       2006-11-14 19:50:15

Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> Unfortunately some packages still doesn't get the "lsb31" target. The
> one essentially problematic is "ksudoku". I think it has something to
> do with "manual recipes".

We could do with making the manual recipes less manual.   That means
changing the way recipe maintainers work.   Instead of specifying a
precise file (or list of) for a recipe, they should specify a list of
files and sources and those sources should contain the dependency
required to build the cmg (an apt sources.list essentially, but could
come from an rpm dump or be generated for arbirary files).   This way
the recipe maintainer could hook into the dependency satisfaction rather
then simply hand-crafting a list.   They can still hand craft a list
though they could then include dependencies on any or all packages by
supplying not just the url but what package it provides, replaces and
depends upon.

It's kinda what I tried proposing to the lsb they should standardise,
how to satisfy dependencies for a package from outside the package and
lsb you can probably find a couple of mails on their mailing list :-D

What do people think of this idea?
> My recommendation: turn off manual recipes when "lsb31" target is used.
>
> Any ideas?

Apart from the above, when you go on a klik hacking/testing spree like
this why not pop into #klik to talk about it?   As it happens probono
and I were in there discussing plashisms, mounting and unionising (along
with multi-arch/platform concepts) and another voice/set of ideas are
always nice :-P

Also between me and probono we might have tracked down what was
happening with some of the things your describe very quickly ... I know
it would take me alone a lot longer :-(

Keep it up,

Niall