List:       klik-devel
Subject:    [klik-devel] Further improving klik idea (KDE Integration and RPM
From:       "Alexey Eremenko" <al4321 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-04-26 19:52:07

Hi all klikers !

I have an idea to make klik to behave like an installed package (while
at the same time not breaking any of our core value)

The idea is simple:
When you right-click on a klik package, there should a new menu option
appear "Add to KDE Menu" - so it will add the klik to the KDE KMenu
(Start Button)

And we might also provide a simple uninstaller of such thing - like an
Autopackage did.
That is -- a simple KDE program, that remove those KDE menu (start
button) entries (and *optionally* deletes the klik packages from the
Hard Disk)

That way we will have few more features from the RPM.
(that is: KDE Desktop Integration, pseudo-installation,
pseudo-uninstallation and real un-installatiuon)

I have read parts from the Open-Source book: Maximum RPM - and
understood the concepts of this powerful Package Manager.

Maximum RPM book:
http://www.redhat.com/docs/books/max-rpm/

RPM also allows people to query whole packages, single files, search
the database, and verify the package. Also it allows to managing
source code & many architectures at once.

From that whole salad - it could be good to implement klik query of
packages. (try to use "rpm -qip something.rpm" to understand what I
mean).

I really believe that klik is better concept - and will be stronger
than RPM - especially on the desktop. And copying a some RPM features
will make klik only stronger.