List:       kismet-wireless
Subject:    RE: [KISMET] logging/displaying signal strength
From:       Florin Andrei <florin () sgi ! com>
Date:       2003-01-25 1:45:34

On Thu, 2003-01-23 at 21:55, Rager, Anton (Anton) wrote:

> I've had similar issues -- main problem is that the panel detail
> screen does not seem to reflect the signal properties correctly
> as new packets arrive for a particular BSSID.  Tracking APs down
> would be a bit more straight-forward if the value actually related
> to the most recent packets.

Actually, it seems like it's working fine for me. I'm using a Linksys
WPC11 card with prism2 drivers, on Red Hat 8.0 (updated 2.4.18-18.8.0
kernel), and Kismet 2.8.0b (yeah, XML is broken, but i can live with
that for the moment).

I didn't do a lot of testing though, just discovered a few APs and
rogue clients by simply watching the signal strength. I might have been
just lucky.

I'll do some more testing, and let you know if i have any problems.

> Logging this signal data would be a little tricky without GPS
> data -- how would you know where the frame was captured?

Well, if you're familiar with HAM Radio and RF stuff, there's a
game that radio amateurs play: they hide a transmitter somewhere and
dare others to discover it. If you have a directional antenna on a
portable receiver, it's actually quite simple. But it's completely
doable (albeit slower) even without a directional antenna; in that
case all you need is a good real-time reading of the RF field strength
(actually, you need that regardless of having or not having a
directional antenna).

The latter method is what i'm using to discover the APs so precisely
that i can actually touch them. :-) It works even in buildings with
multiple floors.

P.S.: I don't mean to be rude, but your mailer has a funny way to format
the messages. It looks like it does not wrap the lines at 72...78
characters.

--
Florin Andrei

"I'm only arguing against stupid people who think they need a revolution
to improve - most real improvements are evolutionary." - Linus Torvalds