List:       kismet-wireless
Subject:    Re: [KISMET] Help Setup
From:       Mike Kershaw <dragorn () nerv-un ! net>
Date:       2003-01-18 5:57:54

There is no such thing as hiding the SSID.

It's another one of the manufacturer "security myths".  Kismet will
automatically decloak it when a client joins the network, or even gets
a weak signal.

More actively, attacks are possible to forcibly decloak a hidden network.
Kismet doesn't do any active attacks, but they do exist.

So - no.  hiding your SSID is basically worthless and offers no security
benefits.

-m

--
"Dear Die-ary,
    Today I stuffed some dolls with dead rats I put in a blender.