List:       kismet-wireless
Subject:    Kismet 2.6.2 setup with RH8.0/prism2
From:       Jason Dixon <jasondixon () myrealbox ! com>
Date:       2002-12-25 5:24:12

Hi all-

I just received my new Garmin Legend, so I'm anxious to get Kismet/gpsd
working on my laptop.  I've used Kismet previously on my Zaurus 5500,
and it was a snap.  Unfortunately, I'm running into some difficulty
getting it to work with my laptop.  First, the specs:

Red Hat 8.0
D-Link DWL-650, updated firmware to 0.8.3
wlan-ng-0.1.15-6, running in Infrastructure mode

I have kismet.conf configured to use wlan0 with captype=pcap and
cardtype=prism2_pcap.  When I try to start kismet_monitor, it outputs
the following:

Setting interface from /usr/local/etc/kismet.conf capinterface
Setting card type from /usr/local/etc/kismet.conf cardtype
Enabling monitor mode for a pcap prism2 card on wlan0 channel 6
message=lnxreq_wlansniff
  enable=true
  channel=6
  prismheader=true
  keepwepflags=no_value
  stripfcs=no_value
  packet_trunc=no_value
  resultcode=refused

Netstat -vant confirms that kismet is not bound to any tcp ports.  I've
also tried other permutations of captype and cardtype settings (prism2,
prism2_hostap, etc).  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

TIA,
J.