List:       kismet-wireless
Subject:    orinoco help
From:       Daniel Guido <guidon () optonline ! net>
Date:       2002-12-18 1:55:58

sorry in advance for this.  im trying to get an orinoco gold card to work
in monitor mode on redhat 8.  ive got most of the install done but i'm
having some problems.

iwpriv eth1 tells me that monitor mode is implemented so I installed the
patch on pcmcia-3.2.1 correctly.  dmesg does give me the correct output
about the eth1 interface however just about every other line it says: "card
removed while waiting for command completion".  an lsmod tells me
orinoco_cs, orinoco, and hermes are loaded.  when I run kismet_monitor -H i
get "FATAL: Error setting orinoco channel using private ioctl: Input/output
error".  I'm running kismet-devel, just downloaded it today.  all packages
in redhat are up to date.  libpcap is installed as well.  when I go to the
network configuration in redhat I cannot set the inactive orinoco card to
active.  I have one other pcmcia card installed, a 3com 595 etherlink xl
nic with support for it compiled into the kernel.  it works properly and
gets me online.  also, there are no APs within range of where I am
sitting.  kernel version 2.4.20, could it have been an option I selected
upon compiling it?  support for wireless cards was turned on, but support
for orinoco cards turned off b/c i thought they'd be installed with
pcmcia-cs.  ay, im sorry for the long rant.

I hope I provided enough information for someone to tell me what I'm doing
wrong.  thanks.

dan