List:       kismet-wireless
Subject:    promiscuous mode and browsing at same time?
From:       Rakesh Arora <rake_arora () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-10-25 17:32:50

Hi,
I have a question on promiscuous mode and I hope that this is an appropriate forum \
for that. My question is :

- When a card is in promiscuous mode, can it still be transmitting packets? I know it \
is possible for wired NICs but am not sure for wireless realm.

I thought that monitor mode was synonymous with "listen" mode, i.e. no transmission \
can occur? But from airsnort's website, http://airsnort.shmoo.com/faq.html#Q3 "In \
fact transmiting is sometimes not possible while in monitor mode (driver dependent)"

So it implies that you could possibly be transmitting even if in monitor mode, right? \
The driver dependent part is making me feel iffy.

Thanks