List:       kismet-wireless
Subject:    [OT] 802.3 MAC vs. 802.11b MAC (?)
From:       "jrlpop () mail ! portland ! co ! uk" <jrlpop () mail ! portland ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-09-27 8:25:54

Sorry for this slightly OT question but I figure the audience is perfect
and it certainly ain't a FAQ.

In Linux you can set the MAC address of an interface using "ip link
set". E.g. in RedHat you can accomplish this setting a line
"MACADDR=DE:AD:BE:EF:CA:FE" in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0. This works as expected on
real (cable) ethernet and it is also possible to use on a WLAN
interface. BUT I have the feeling this just changes MAC on 802.3 level,
while the 802.11b packets still uses the real MAC address.

[and yes I know you are invisible when in RFMON mode]

So the questions to anyone who can straighten this out:

a) Am I right?

b) Is there a way to change 802.11b MAC in a general way?

 - or -

c) Is there a way to do it on Aironet cards? Orinoco cards?

greets
jrl