List:       kismet-wireless
Subject:    wiretap support
From:       "Fred Reinthaler" <fred () peelwireless ! com>
Date:       2002-09-25 21:12:57

Hi,

I'm trying to compile Kismet 2.4.6 with wiretap support and am having some
problems.

The box i'm trying to compile Kismet on doesn't have X installed so i've
compiled the command line Ethereal only (tethereal).  I'm using the latest
stable version of Ethereal which is 0.9.6 and all its files are under
/usr/src/ethereal-0.9.6.  I know Kismet looks for them under
/usr/src/ethereal-0.9.5 so i created a soft link to it but running Kismet
./configure still says:

checking for usable wiretap in /usr/src/ethereal-0.9.5/wiretap... no
configure: WARNING: *** No useable wiretap found in /usr/src/ethereal-0.9.5.
Make sure this directory is correct and that you have configured and
compiled Ethereal in this directory.  While Kismet will function without
wiretap, it will limit the log reading and writing abilities. ***

I've also tried to run ./configure with
"--with-ethereal=/usr/src/ethereal-0.9.6" but still the same error.  Is it
possible that the GUI version of Wiretap must be compiled for wiretap
support in Kismet?

thanks,

fred