List:       kismet-wireless
Subject:    Re: [KISMET] What GPS Unit...?
From:       atd7 () cornell ! edu
Date:       2002-09-24 12:57:30

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, x86ricer wrote:

> Looking for two GPS units.  One to use on a laptop and the other to use
> on the Sharp Zaurus SL-5500.  Maybe there is one out there that can be
> used on both.  Heck while I am fantasizing... Maybe there is one out
> there that will interface to USB and Serial.  But what would be the
> best units for this operation?  I wold also like a unit to use on a
> iBook.  But What I want to do and what I get to do are often two
> different things.

USB GPSes are pretty rare.  Those with native USB interfaces are usually
pretty basic (PC-only, not standalone).

Fortunately, since the NMEA interface doesn't require RS232 flow control,
you only need the RxD, TxD, and GND lines for full functionality.
(Actually, standard NMEA doesn't even need TxD - That's used for either
RTCM corrections or extensions to NMEA that allow for waypoint
transfer.)  Basically ANY USB->Serial adapter out there provides these
three lines at the very least.

I suggest getting a Garmin model.  The eTrexes are cheap and good,
although you may want to spend the extra cash for an eMap, which appears
to be their cheapest external-antenna model.

For eTrex/eMap connectors, go to www.pfranc.com and either get ready-made
cablesets (FAR cheaper than from Garmin - You can get a full set for what
they charge for a power/data cable with bare ends) or ePlugs to make your
own cable.  They also have a $30 USB->Serial adapter with ALL signal
lines (If you just want a basic one, $20 incl. shipping on eBay is
common.)