List:       kismet-wireless
Subject:    Re: [KISMET] KISMET under Mac OS X.
From:       Mike Kershaw <dragorn () nerv-un ! net>
Date:       2002-08-31 23:10:26

> I've looked around google for answers to this but haven't really found
> anything definite, but will KISMET compile / run on Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar)?
> If not, are there any plans for a port?

It should compile if you have pcap support.  Actualy getting data?  Read on.

> I don't use an Airport card in my powerbook, instead I use a standard
> Orinoco card (Cabletron) in the PC Card slot - there are open source drivers
> to get this running (http://sourceforge.net/projects/wirelessdriver/).
> Problem is, apparently there's no support in the driver yet for stumbling -
> you need to specify the remote network, which makes my wardriving completely
> useless.
> I'm not sure if KISMET can help with this but I'd really like this running,
> its a great application.  I've tried emailing the developer of the driver,
> but I didn't get a response.

Basically, Kismet needs the driver to support rfmon mode to do its magic -
apples airport drivers don't do this... Reading through the wirelessdriver
page at one point they talked about adding support for rfmon similar to the
BSD support, to make BSD Airtools work with them.  At the time, they hadn't
yet.

If you can get rfmon support from the drivers, Kismet *should* work fine, with
the latest -devels (Endian issues will cause problems with earlier versions).
Hopefully the wirelessdriver developers will be able to help with getting rfmon
enabled.  Have they fixed the wirelessdrivers to work with Jag now?

-m

--
Who says dragons never dream?