List:       kismet-wireless
Subject:    Starting Kismet Server 2.0 Problems
From:       "Fieglmueller, Bernhard" <Bernhard.Fieglmueller () one ! at>
Date:       2002-04-30 6:45:43

HI

I have rh 7.2 and compiled the source no problemes. I have no gps so i make configure \
--disable-gps and so on

when i start /usr/local/bin/kismet:

Server options:  none
Client options:  none
Starting server...
FATAL:  GPS logging requested but GPS support was not compiled.
Starting UI...
FATAL:  Could not connect to localhost:2501.
./kismet: kill: (6360) - No such pid
Terminating...

here is my kismet.conf
cat /usr/local/etc/kismet.conf
# Kismet config file
# Most of the "static" configs have been moved to here -- the command line
# config was getting way too crowded and cryptic.  We want functionality,
# not continually reading --help!
#
# Default config by Mike Kershaw <urmk@reason.marist.edu>

# Version of Kismet config
version=2.0

# Gui config

# Gui type to use
# Valid types: curses, panel
gui=panel
# Server to connect to (host:port)
guihost=localhost:2501
# Network traffic decay (active/recent/inactive) and packet click rate - increase
# this if you are doing prism2 channel hopping.
guidecay=3
# What columns do we display?  Comma seperated.  Read the documentation for what
# columns are valid.
guicolumns=decay,name,type,wep,channel,packets,flags,ip
# Does the GUI use sound?
# NOT to be confused with "sound" option later, which is for the SERVER to make
# noise on whatever host it's running on.
guisound=true
# Path to sound player
guisoundplay=/usr/bin/play
# New network found
guisound_new=/usr/local/share/kismet/wav/new_network.wav
# Network traffic sound
guisound_traffic=/usr/local/share/kismet/wav/traffic.wav
# Network junk traffic found
guisound_junktraffic=/usr/local/share/kismet/wav/junk_traffic.wav
# GPS lock aquired sound
# guisound_gpslock=/usr/local/share/kismet/wav/foo.wav
# GPS lock lost sound
# guisound_gpslost=/usr/local/share/kismet/wav/bar.wav

# Does the GUI talk to us with Festival?
guispeech=false
# Where is festival located for the GUI?
guifestival=/usr/bin/festival

# MAC addresses to filter, comma seperated.  Hex MUST BE in all caps!
macfilter=DE:AD:BE:EF:00:00

# Port to serve GUI data
tcpport=2501
# People allowed to connect, comma seperated, IPs
allowedhosts=127.0.0.1
# Maximum number of concurrent GUI's
maxclients=5

# captype - Packet capture type.
# valid options: "prism2" "pcap" "generic"
captype=pcap

# capinterface - Wireless device name.
# Required for all capture types.
capinterface=eth1

# Do we have a GPS?
gps=true
# Host:port that GPSD is running on.  This can be localhost OR remote!
gpshost=localhost:2947

# Do we use sound?
# Not to be confused with GUI sound earlier, where the GUI makes noise on
# whatever system it's running on
sound=false
# Path to sound player
soundplay=/usr/bin/play
# New network found
sound_new=/usr/local/share/kismet/wav/new_network.wav
# Network traffic sound
sound_traffic=/usr/local/share/kismet/wav/traffic.wav
# Network junk traffic found
sound_junktraffic=/usr/local/share/kismet/wav/junk_traffic.wav
# GPS lock aquired sound
# sound_gpslock=/usr/local/share/kismet/wav/foo.wav
# GPS lock lost sound
# sound_gpslost=/usr/local/share/kismet/wav/bar.wav

# Does the server have speech? (Again, not to be confused with the GUI's speech
speech=false
# Server's path to Festival
festival=/usr/bin/festival

# File types to log, comma seperated
# dump    - raw packet dump
# network - plaintext detected networks
# csv     - plaintext detected networks in CSV format
# xml     - XML formatted network and cisco log
# weak    - weak packets (in airsnort format)
# cisco   - cisco equipment CDP broadcasts
# gps     - gps coordinates
logtypes=dump,network,csv,xml,weak,cisco,gps

# Do we log "noise" packets that we can't decipher?  I tend to not, since
# they don't have anything interesting at all in them.
noiselog=false

# Do we do "fuzzy" crypt detection?  (byte-based detection instead of 802.11
# frame headers)
# valid option: Comma seperated list of packetsources to perform fuzzy detection
#  on, or 'all'
fuzzycrypt=prism2,wtapfile

# What type of dump do we generate?
# valid option: "wiretap"
dumptype=wiretap
# Do we limit the size of dump logs?  Sometimes ethereal can't handle big ones.
# 0 = No limit
# Anything else = Max number of packets to log to a single file before closing
# and opening a new one.
dumplimit=0

# Default log title
logdefault=Kismet

# logtemplate - Filename logging template.
# This is, at first glance, really nasty and ugly, but you'll hardly ever
# have to touch it so don't complain too much.
#
# %n is replaced by the logging instance name
# %d is replaced by the current date
# %t is replaced by the starting log time
# %i is replaced by the increment log in the case of multiple logs
# %l is replaced by the log type (dump, status, crypt, etc)
# %h is replaced by the home directory
# ie, "netlogs/%n-%d-%i.dump" called with a logging name of "Pok" could expand
# to something like "netlogs/Pok-Dec-20-01-1.dump" for the first instance and
# "netlogs/Pok-Dec-20-01-2.%l" for the second logfile generated.
# %h/netlots/%n-%d-%i.dump could expand to
# /home/foo/netlogs/Pok-Dec-20-01-2.dump
#
# Other possibilities:  Sorting by directory
# logtemplate=%l/%n-%d-%i
# Would expand to, for example,
# dump/Pok-Dec-20-01-1
# crypt/Pok-Dec-20-01-1
# and so on.  The "dump", "crypt", etc, dirs must exist before kismet is run
# in this case.
logtemplate=%n-%d-%i.%l

# Where state info, etc, is stored.  You shouldnt ever need to change this.
# This is a directory.
configdir=%h/.kismet/

# cloaked SSID file.  You shouldn't ever need to change this.
ssidmap=ssid_map

# Group map file.  You shouldn't ever need to change this.
groupmap=group_map

# Don't play with this unless you're really sure you want to change the
# main packet scan timings
microsleep=100

I have a ciso 340 aironet card with the old version of kismet everything works fine \
(except pcap).

please help

fifi