List:       kismet-wireless
Subject:    Re: [KISMET] Wishlist
From:       Stuffed Crust <pizza () shaftnet ! org>
Date:       2002-03-31 23:59:53

On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 05:24:05PM -0500, Mike Kershaw wrote:
> Maybe the drivers have advanced to the point where it's useful, I'll look at
> it again.

Highly unlikely.  :)   The driver just reports what the card tells it.

> Usually SNR reporting goes out the window when it's in RFMon mode.  The
> prism2 drivers didn't reliably report this (most often filling it with all
> 0's).

Yeah, it's not too reliable.   The noise level seems to always be zero,
but the signal strength seems to be (somewhat) sane.

> This is true.  Some cards report snr in monitor mode, (cisco), most, however,
> do not (the world).  I'll see about merging it in for prism2, but the drivers
> should be entering it in /proc/net/wireless if it's gatherable in rfmon mode.

As explained to me, the CommsQuality info that is used to populate
/proc/net/wireless is the signal strength with the associated AP.
And if there's no association, there's nothing to report.  So this is a
"feature", apparently.

> > Kismet is also not doing any kind of packet type checking on the
> > incoming packets; this is actually fairly easy for some capture types
> > like wtap..
>
> Eh?  Maybe we have different definitions of type checking?

It would only be relevant for wtap and raw PF_PACKET socket captures;
Just a check to make sure that the frame coming back is supposedly an
IEEE802.11[+prism] frame.

For example, with wtap, we should only pass up packets of the type
WTAP_ENCAP_IEEE_802_11 or WTAP_ENCAP_PRISM_HEADER.... It's just a sanity
check..

And since kismet doesn't use raw PF_PACKET captures, you can largely
ignore me.

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                    pizzaATfucktheusers.org
I ain't broke, but I'm badly bent.                           ICQ# 1318344