List:       kget
Subject:    [Kget] Relicense GPLv2 only files in KGet
From:       Urs Wolfer <uwolfer () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-11-08 17:41:56

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi all

I have had a discussion some time ago with Dirk Mueller concerning GPL version
2 _only_ licensed files. As I know, there is quite a lot of KGet code GPLv2
only licensed. Almost all (or all?) files initially written by Dario are
affected.

Why should we do this step? Dirk has explained to me that GPLv2 only is no
problem in the current situation. But what happens when Qt will be released
unter GPLv3 only? Or any other lib we link against? There would be legal
issues... At the moment, many people are relicensing their code in KDE SVN.

In order to prevent this situation, it would be great if we could relicense
all these files right now. But: Of course, everybody, who has a copyright on
such files, needs to agee on this. I don't want to have a look at every
single file to see who owns the / a copy of it if not necessary now. Would be
great if just everybody who owns a copyright on a file in KGet which is GPLv2
only could reply to this message and clearly state that he agrees on this
(please on this public mailing list).

People that are for sure affected:
* Dario Massarin
* Manolo Valdes
* Javier Goday
* Urs Wolfer

If everybody agrees, I would like to relicense GPLv2 only files to GPLv2+.

Thanks!

Bye
urs