List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: how to detect mime setting from javascript?
From:       Ilya Konstantinov <kfm-devel () future ! galanet ! net>
Date:       2001-09-07 18:29:06

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 11:05:38AM -0700, derek wrote:
> I still don't get it. Why exposing plugin info isn't a privacy violation
> issue? All I want to do is to direct user to the proper download location if

A plugin is still somehow a piece of software I expect to interact with
web sites. Yet, it's not your business whether my computer has StarOffice
or KWord installed.

> If konqueror/KDE aim at the level of usability of IE/Windows, it is a big
> issue.

Internet Explorer exposes navigator.mimeTypes['application/msword'] and
navigator.mimeTypes['application/vnd.ms-excel'] if you have those familiar
Microsoft Office applications installed?
If so, I consider this a serious privacy issue.