List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    (no subject)
From:       Thaweesak Taekratok <oneall1 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2001-09-07 16:59:11

Anyone thing this can be applied in Konquerer?
I got an idea which came from my
experience working on multi-lingual domain name and I
think it might be useful for those who don't use
English very often or someone like me who type in Thai
10 times faster than in English.  My idea is to
develop what I called My Keywords working with the
browser like Konquerer.
Here is how I think it might work.  Normally, we need
to type in a domain name in English to gain accessed
to a website that we want to go.  For those who don't
use English very often, they seems to forget from time
to time.  Just like me.  There are an attempt to
develop a technology to make the domain name works in
local language.  In my opinion a solution will take at
least one more year to see something concrete.  Two of
the problems are that the domain name must be unique
and we don't know what kind of computers users are
using and what types of input as well.
Here is my proposal that should be easier to
implement.
"A domain name must be unique, but a personal keyword
does not have to."
I don't see why I cannot set up a keyword that
associate with my favorite website and type my
personal keyword into my browser instead of the actual
Englsih domain name every time.  It is OK to type it
in the first time and then set up the keyword to
associate with it.  For example, http://www.kde.org
and set it up with my own keyword in my own language.
The next time, I just type in that keyword and go to
KDE website.  This will help avoiding typing the
unfamiliar name in English incorrectly or make it
easier to remember.  Some may think that there already
is a bookmark.  For me it is not practical, since we
have to drag mouse to log-list of menu and we cannot
make the name recognizable.  By using personal
keyword, you can just associate your favorite site
with your alphabet and just type in your alphabet.
Short and easy.
How to make this happen?
Normally, when we type in a domain name in our
browser, the browser will first check to see if we
have that name in our host file or our cache, then go
to check the domai name.  Therefore, it could be easy
to set the browser to check the host file and then
check the database file which we use to save all of
those personal keywords and Englsih domain names.  If,
the browser could not find it, then it just goes to
the next step.  We can make this as an option in
Konquerer.  If a user wants to use this feature, they
will need to activate it.  Also, we may need to
develop an editor to edit or delete those keywords in
case the users think there are too many or they want
to remove some of them.  I don't think the database
would be big since we normally have no more than 100
websites to visit as often.
The problem is that I am not so sure how well KDE and
Konquerer handle local languages.  For Thai, when I
type in Thai language, it only displays as a question
mark.  Anyone have this problem?  and What do you
think about the idea?
I don't think it would take times to develop since we
can reuse most of the code already written.  The key
would be how well KDE and Konquerer handle local
language.  And can they do search for non-English
characters.