On Sat, 11 Aug 2001, Carsten Pfeiffer wrote: > On Samstag, 11. August 2001 12:07 Manuel Arriaga wrote: > > > I have written a shared library which, when preloaded, intercepts calls to > > GNU libc's unlink() function and makes sure that those files won't be > > deleted, but rather stored in a different directory. ...[deletia]... > > So, I guess I'll try this out in the next week when I find some time and I'm > confident that we can use this for KDE 3.0. As a user, not a developer, my concerns are + I want the trash can to continue to work under KDE + I also want virtual consoles (in, e.g., konsole) to behave like they conventionally behave in Unix, i.e. rm removes files, permanently. If I want to trash a file, I would prefer to add a command like "trash" rather than modify the meaning of rm. I also would prefer not to have to set up an alias 'LD_PRELOAD="" xterm' for when I want to have a normal Unix console. Hence, I would prefer that libtrash be a configurable option, with at least 2 settings (these are not the exact wording for end-users, but you get the idea): * Enable trash can (i.e., libtrash) for GUI deletion only * Enable trash can for all deletion The former, I assume, would load libtrash only for the file browsing/view parts (Konqueror's file view & kfile), and the latter would set libtrash to preload during KDE startup (I assume kdeinit would then infect all child processes, including shells, with libtrash). (Q: does libtrash support dynamic loading for the GUI-only scenario? If not, I assume it would be fairly easy to write a libtrash-compatible library that does.) I guess this was all probably mentioned on that IRC chat you talked about, but I thought I'd give my input anyway. ~k.lee