List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror of the OSDLAB award
From:       Harri Porten <porten () trolltech ! com>
Date:       2001-08-08 9:56:23

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Philippe FREMY wrote:

> The contribution must be sent before Friday, and I would like to do it on
> Wednesday or Thursday. If you have anything to add/change, please let me
> know.

> The development of powerful dynamic web page generation language like
php or
> asp,

Isn't that PHP and ASP ?

> and their connection to databases offers many advanced feature to
> browsing. This leads companies to develop their internal services
directely
> on an Intranet. A browser is thus a key application today. In that
light, I
> propose Konqueror, Kde's browser as a contestant for the OSDLab award.

"KDE's browser" or "the browser of the K Desktop Environment".

> Konqueror is a fully standard compliant browser, with support for HTML
4.0,
> CSS1 and CSS2 (Cascading Style Sheet), Javascript and Java.

Sheet*s*
Java*S*cript

> Konqueror provides an easy migration path from Windows. It integrates
natively
> within Kde, just like IE or the Explorer do within Windows. By using a
windows
> theme for Kde, the user can feel completely under Windows, Konqueror

"KDE"

> provides exactely the same features she is used to: Drag'n Drop, Windows
shares
> browsing, http or ftp browsing, file tree view list (see
> http://www.konqueror.org/konq-filemanager.html).
>
> But Konqueror goes beyond that. It supports many advanced feature that
are
> new to the linux browsing world, and even to the windows world. All are

*W*indows

> integrated natively in konqueror:
> - support in development for ActiveX controls (see
> http://dot.kde.org/994747675/) such as Flash or Quicktime. Should be
ready for
> ???

If it's not quite ready I'd rather put the further to the end of the list.

> Konqueror is also available on embedded devices, using Qt embedded
> (http://www.konqueror.org/embedded.html).

How about extending this to: "Source availability and customizable modular
design already attracted manufacturers of embedded devices and "kiosk"
browser terminals ...."

Harri.