List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    HeirMenus Status Report
From:       "David Joham" <djoham () criadvantage ! com>
Date:       2001-07-31 21:39:42

Hi everyone!

I thought I would let you all know how the attempt to get the JavaScript
HeirMenus working in Konqueror is going.

My current code is at
http://www.kimanddavidforever.org/jsmenus/LoadMe.html. You'll note that
almost everything is working! Actually, at this point, the code is
almost useable in Konqueror. Here's the list of action items from my
last Email and their status:

*still to go*

The biggest issue that is facing me now is that Konqueror seems to lose
references to its objects a lot. For example, if you go the page above
and click on the word "Experts" in the top menubar, you'll get a nice
drop down. Scroll through the list for a bit and then move your mouse to
the word "Contents". Konqueror should "roll up" the Experts menu and
highlight the Contents menu in black. What happens is that I get a JS
error at the console that states "JS: Type error. Undefined value".

I can't figure this one out. Mozilla and IE do not have this problem (or
at least don't tell me about it). I'm at a little bit of a loss as to
what to do. Actually, the main reason for this post is to see if I can't
get someone else to take a quick look at the code from Konqueror's
JavaScript perspective and let me know if they see anything that might
clue us in. Until this gets fixed, the menus are of rather limited use.

One last thing, sometimes it just works in Konqueror. I'll be debugging
and trying new things and viola! Everything is great. The error goes
away and everything functions just like it should. This usually happens
after debugging for a while and after I put in a try catch block around
something. However, if I shut Konqueror down and restart *without
changing the code* it will usually fail again on the next try. Very
frustrating. I get this behavior maybe in one out of a hundred reloads
of the page.

Other items to work on:

Side borders on the yellow menu: It seems as though they get drawn, but
this something is drawn over the top of them.
Hover effects: It seems that you have to hover over the text in the
menus rather than the menu itself to activate the highlight
Speed: removing CSS_DEBUG helped a lot, but it still seems a little
slow.
The link that's supposed to activate on the onclick (Displays on click)
doesn't work for some reason.

*fixed*
Mouse positioning: Konqi exposes the mouse coordinates to the browser in
the same manner as IE. To this point, I had always told the scripts that
Konqi was equivalent to Mozilla to avoid all the weird IEisms that the
script uses. The menus pop up in the appropriate place now. IE uses
clientX, clientY, document.body.scrollLeft and document.body.scrollTop
to determine mouse coordinates. Mozilla uses pageX and pageY. To my
knowledge, there is no standard way of doing this from the W3C. What do
you all think about supporting both? It should be easy to make pageX
just call clientX and then add in the value from
document.body.scrollTop. It's not that big of a deal, but it would be
nice from my perspective.

borders: Someone just fixed something that is now causing the bottom
borders to render correctly on the menus. Thank you to the unknown
coder. The side borders are actually being drawn on the permanent
(yellow) menu, but something is writing over the top of them. I'm still
looking into that.

*identified bug*
The gif to indicate submenus is rendered in the wrong place due to a bug
in Konqueror's implementation of cssFloat. I just logged a bug (30086)
to address this. Hopefully, it will be easy to fix since Konqueror
supports the CSS property of "float" just fine. This is the last major
visual bug that I can see.

At the moment, I'm so frustrated with the JavaScript bug that I'm trying
to fix some of the easy ones. I would love it if someone could just snap
their fingers and say "Just fixed the JavaScript problem. Recompile and
try it". Any takers :)

Thanks again,

David