List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    post 2.2 fun?
From:       Dirk Mueller <mueller () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-29 11:48:10

Hi,

it seems like our idea of priority tables for irregular nested tags don't
fit for all cases of HTML. like:

as you can see, these tags are independently opened and closed, so you get a
"mixture" in the rendering. you can change the order and add tags however
you like you will never get "our" behaviour. only </td> cleans the mess up.

tags as well.

This fits very well in our hacks for <font> in combination with <table>, we
just need a more generic solution now if we want to be able to render those
sites like in the other browsers. Especially as <A> and <FONT> is affected,
which can screw a page seriously up, I think its important enough to get
these constructs right (its not a problem in the renderer, just the parser
is too dumb).

IMHO adding support for this can even improve performance, as the
render-tree becomes less cluttered and nested and we need a lot less
different classes in the HTML*Impl tree.

Something for post 2.2 to figure out ? Or rather declare it as broken and
forget ?

Dirk