List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Konqueror Plugin Architektur
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-07-27 8:29:59

On Thursday 26 July 2001 19:50, David Faure wrote:
|   On Tuesday 24 July 2001 09:26, Andreas Neumann wrote:
|
|   > I am corresponding with Adobe about a possible Linux port of its
|   > SVG-viewer. Peter Sorotokin, one of the SVG developers, asked which
|   > plugins Konqueror supports. I know, that it supports Netscape plugins,
|   > but I am not sure about the support for the new gtk-based Mozilla
|   > plugins. I've only seen that in the plugin-preferences it also includes
|   > the Mozilla plugin folder. If not - are you planning to support the new
|   > Mozilla plugins?
|
|   Not that I know of. Currently Konqueror supports Netscape plugins indeed,
|   as well as being able to use KDE components embedded into webpages too.
|   Unless someone develops support for Mozilla plugins, those won't be
| supported.

it's supposed that Netscape plugins use Motif interface.
Support for Motif (inside plugin space) is added in KDE with help of LessTif
(library). LessTif is royalty-free Motif implementation.
So, if Adobe's SVG viewer uses Motif, it can be ported to Linux easily. I
even don't think that it's KDE-related.
To improve user experience, Adove may want to make KPart from it.
Than any user will be able to view SVG inside Konqueror window, even without
web page embedding this SVG - just like now it displays GIF, JPEG, PNG, SWF
(with Macromedia Flash plugin installed).
Probably David Faure can provide more info on KParts :-)

|   > Can you please point us to more ressources on the Konqueror plugin
|   > architecture?
|
|   I'm not sure what we have about that, Stefan did the NSPlugin stuff.
|   Hopefully other people from kfm-devel will give you more info on this.

I guess that Adobe may want to write SVG KPart for Konqueror.
Than it's possible to add SVG KPart as .svg MIMEtype handler, the rest is
easy ;-)
So, you need link to KParts stuff.

--

Vadim Plessky