List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: konqueror id
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-07-24 9:45:03

On Tuesday 24 July 2001 01:46, Dawit Alemayehu wrote:
|   On Monday 23 July 2001 10:35, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|   >
|   > That's why I run my Konq with "Linux Inside" label :-)
|   > Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/2.2beta1; Linux 2.4.3-20mdk; X11)
|
|   There is no need for all this.  The default user-agent string starting
| with KDE 2.2 is:
|   Mozilla/5.0 (compatiable; konqueror/{version#}; {OS})
|
|   It used to be
|   Mozilla/5.0 (compatiable; konqueror/{version#}; X11)

Dawit, yes, it's exactly what my Konq has by default.
Unfortunately, not too many people know what is "X11", but some people aware
about "Linux" existance.
So, it was my choice to have "Linux" in UA, and I am pretty happy with that
:-)
After some thoughts, I decided to retain kernel number and "mdk" in UA - as
it will not hurt me, but make recent Linux kernel more visible.
plus, I am happy that run Mandrake, not other famous distro without KDE 2.2b
packages....

|   in KDE 2.1.  You can check this by going to the useragent dialog and
|   pressing the default button.  BTW, I agree with the point Richard made
|   regarding privacy.  That is exactly why I made the default user-agent
|   string customizable for the most part.  That is the minimum default
|   user-agent string is:
|
|   Mozilla/5.0 (compatiable; konqueror/{version#})
|
|   Perhaps I can also add the ability to remove {version#} from the
| konqueror string.  Anyways, as Richard pointed out if any of these sites
| that measure such statics really wanted to, they can easily classify
| konqueror into its own group rather than bunching it into the "others"
| category...

yep, it would be nice to put Konq into own group.
But as I mentioned, it falls into "other" or "Netscape" groups here
(http://www.spylog.com, http://top.list.ru)
I have tried to convinience those companies to separate Konq, but with no
success (despite promises from list.ru to do so...)

Besides, I can tell that Opera often also counted as Netscape, so there is
nothing new with such web stattistics :-((

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)