List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: konqueror id
From:       Richard Moore <rich () ipso-facto ! freeserve ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-07-23 23:47:39

Vadim Plessky wrote:

> On Monday 23 July 2001 22:41, Richard Moore wrote:
> |   The security issue is much more important than helping webmetrics
> |   companies write their code. There is no good technical reason to
> |   make the platform information available, and doing so reduces the
> |   security of our users. The option is there for those who want it,
> |   but turning it on by default would be a mistake.
>
> Ok.
> I just made my choice - turned it On.
> May be, we should mention all Pros and Cons in FAQ, so every user can decide
> what field to include in UserAgent.

Good idea

> We still need to see what will happen with Netscape.
> It looks like that in 6-9months Netscape market share for browsers will
> decrease to 1.5%-2%.

This is still a *lot* of people.

> Than all *browser detection* code will be meaningless - as MS will control
> around 97%-98% of browser market.
> In thic case UA will R.I.P., and compatibility will be checked in different
> way (probably, assuming that you have at least MS IE 5.0 or newer, and than
> checking for MS IE version)

To be honest, browser detection dying makes me very happy. It is
only needed because the early HTML standards were too loose and
the browser wars made things even worse. Now we have a decent HTML
standard user agents are increasingly irrelevent. Konqueror is almost
always fine if people follow the standard, as is IE.

> As Konqi supports now many MS IE *features* (navigator.platform, for example,
> and this can be configurable), I see no problem here.
> Mozilla will, probably, die, Konq will conquer its user base and get its
> market share... :-)

What a pity :-)

Rich.