List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Font sizes in Konqueror and KWord
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2001-06-17 23:23:51

On Sunday 17 June 2001 15:13, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
|   > But, for some reason, KDM ignores $HOME/.serverrc.
|
|   how do you image it should obey this file when the xserver is started
| long before the user to log in is known?

On first initialization/startup.
Than, after "changing dpi settings", X server can be restarted.
So, it will be *fresh-started*

BTW: there was discussion some time ago how to change bpp for X server.
I guess this is very common to it.
So, offering "dpi" changing option, we can add "color depth" option as well.

|   > Placing similar script to /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc also doesn't help.
|
|   well, kdm isn't xinit, is it? ;-)
Yes ;-)

|   > What I found is that you need to hack XDM settings in
|   > /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers.
|
|   ${kde_confdir}/kdm/Xservers, if you use a recent version.

Unfortunately, I don't have such directory.
I am on KDE 2.2alpha2. Is it recent enough?
Anyway, how I can add/rebuild it manually or semi-automatically?

|   > did the trick.
|
|   yes, that's supposed to change the xserver's idea about the physical
|   resolution of the display. :)
|
|   > (don't know what -deferglyphs 16 is about)
|
|   reading the xserver's manual might help ;-)

Not really. There is no ".xserverrc" sample file in docs, for example. I have
checked. (but many examples of .xinitrc)

|   > May be, it's posible to inegrate such option into KDM?  KDM will
|   > make changes to script, and restart X.
|
|   which script ...?
|   however, i'm planning to integrate the Xservers setup into the kcontrol
|   module of kdm.

This will be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

|   greetings

P.S. running X now at 96dpi, from KDM. Everything looks very nice, fonts on
most sites are rendered at very pleasant *size*
Dirk, Lars, thanks a lot for tips!
--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)