List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    RE: A more flexible solution for internet keywords
From:       Yves Arrouye <yves () realnames ! com>
Date:       2001-06-11 20:42:58

> For now I'll implement the compatibility mode I suggested in
> my last mail
> (query definitions with only one single \1 get replaced with \0 before
> substitution) and submit another patch. It should work
> without problems
> with both, old and new queries, since the case where only the
> first query
> argument should be used, is not vere useful.

Please test it by doing something like this: select Google as your fallback
search engine, and then put this in Konqueror's address bar: "un été très
chaud". After you get to Goggle, the query should not be changed. If it
contains weird symbols, then \2 (charset) broke. There's a chance it won't
since you may be modifying the logic only for web shortcuts. Still, it makes
the two things work differently which is bad.

About the "$" sign. Since RFC 2396 marks it as reserved, you're right, it
could be a dangerous choice. But you could still keep the "\" as a lead, and
have a second char that is used for the new meaning, as in \{1} for example
(keeping all the chars from the unwise set of RFC 2396).

YA