List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: A more flexible solution for internet keywords
From:       Dawit Alemayehu <adawit () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-11 11:16:49

On Monday 11 June 2001 02:41, Andreas Hochsteger wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2001, Yves Arrouye wrote:
> > Andreas,
> >
> > Sounds cool. Please just don't call it Internet Keywords, it's confusing.
> > This is related to the Web shortcuts (whatever their names are today)
> > that Simon started before I added keywords in the mix.
>
> Thanks for the explanation.
> I self got confused about the names too ;-)
>
> I just saw in the code, that there is often occuring the string "ikws".
> What does that mean, and should I replace ikw_* with ikws_* and IKWMap
> with IKWSMap?

No need to do this since ikwS is a plural form of ikw :)  It is a short form for
saying "Internet Keywords".  Anyways that is not necessary as the changes
you are making mostly matters to the "web shortcuts" feature...

> > Also, if I remember correctly, I used to use \1 for the query and \2 for
> > the charset. Now there is nothing for the charset apparently. And the
> > Internet Keywords machines (those who provide the keyword functionality)
> > expect \2 for it. If you have to change that, please synchronize the
> > change with me. Thanks!
>
> Yes, I changed some of these references in the file kuriikwsfiltereng.cpp
> Here's a small translation table:
> \1 -> \0
> \2 -> \ikw_charset
> \3 -> \ikw_responsecharset
> \| -> \ikw_fallbackuri
>
> If there are some more changes to do, then they should follow the same
> scheme (\ikw_<name> for internal references). Perhaps it makes sense to
> add an additional parameter to formatURL which passes a "global" IKWMap
> with predefined references. So it's much easier to add references outside
> of formatURL without being responsible for the substitution of the
> reference.

The ikws or ikw change is fine since it is internal.  However the change from
\1 -> \0 is not since it would break any third part .desktop files encoded as
such specially since you re-use the \1 place holder...

Regards,
Dawit A.

> Perhaps someone can suggest a better solution for the replacement of
> \ikw_fallbackuri, which is not done through the IKWMap, because it is
> located in another method (ikwsQuery).
>
> One change is still missing:
> The GUI checks whether \1 was entered into a newly created web shortcut
> and gives a message if not.
> This should be changed to a check if '\' is entered.
> I'll change this, when I found out where this is done ;-)
>
> Has somebody took a look at the code?

Not yet but I will later on...

Regards,
Dawit A.