List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: Feedback in Konq
From:       Jelmer Feenstra <spark () dds ! nl>
Date:       2001-06-08 22:46:58

On Tuesday 05 June 2001 12:33, David Faure wrote:
> A busy cursor means that you can't use the application - or makes it
> difficult to - while it's loading. This is completely untrue, and having a
> busy cursor goes AGAINST useability.
> I hate it when Netscape gives me a busy cursor and I can't even scroll in
> the page that's being loaded.
>
> The animated icon (gear) is supposed to give this feedback, as well as the
> statusbar progress information.

I do think we need some more feedback. The gear is sometimes not even running
(although a link was actually clicked) and the statusbar doesn't seem to tell
me a lot either. Perhaps a little timer in the statusbar as is used in opera
gives the user the impression konq (khtml) is actually doing things ? Or
waiting for things ? Another thing I personally hacked into khtml a while ago
was the little clicking sound IE makes when you click a link (or a navigation
button). It really tells you the click was actually received by the browser
and it's doing something with it.

The busy cursor ideas are IMO not the way to go, as users tend to think they
can't use the mousecursor anymore if it has changed into something different.

Jelmer Feenstra

PS A know I replied a little late, I just got my connection back (it went
away for a week :)