List:       kfm-devel
Subject:    Re: konqueror's head request
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-05-14 10:59:37

On Monday 14 May 2001 09:29, Andreas Pour wrote:
> Daniel Naber wrote:

> > > What's the scenario here ? Simply opening http://dot.kde.org/988852243/
> > > in konq ? Or from the newsticker ?
> >
> > I'm not sure, maybe Andreas just grepped the log?
>
> Well if newsticker uses the same User Agent as Konqueror how am I to
> tell?  Here is a typical series of requests:
>
> ZZZ.ZZZ.ZZZ.ZZZ - - [06/May/2001:13:44:25 -0400] "HEAD
> /polls/vote.php?poll=5 HTTP/1.0" 200 0 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible;
> Konqueror/2.2alpha1)"
> [ ... ]
> ZZZ.ZZZ.ZZZ.ZZZ - - [06/May/2001:13:44:39 -0400] "GET
> /polls/vote.php?poll=5 HTTP/1.0" 200 21037 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible;
> Konqueror/2.2alpha1)
>
> Note the 14-second delay.
>
> I analyzed about 200,000 Konqueror requests from log files and posted
> the results at http://www.kde.com/devel/konqRequests.php.  The highlight
> is that Konqueror does a HEAD before a related GET about 0.5% of the
> time, and the average delay caused by the initial HEAD is about 15
> seconds.  I could not find a pattern for when a HEAD precedes a GET, but
> I can provide a list of URLs (sans the requestor's URL) which are
> affected to anyone who is interested.

0.5% of the time ? That's most certainly the newsticker.
I see no surprise here. From konqueror we can start a GET and react accordingly,
but from another app we need to do a HEAD to see what's behind the URL,
to open the right app on it. That's known, I don't see what we can do about it.
People who want speed should type urls in konqueror [when they point to HTML] :)

If we always opened konqueror for any URL, then pasting into minicli the URL of
a remote PNG (as people give on irc, for instance), would open a useless
konqueror window, and then the viewer for that image. (ok, or the embedded
viewer). But in any case that's wrong. We want network transparency for all apps,
not only for konqueror.